Today on Congames I heard the Conman say, “Saddam Hussian deserved to be hanged, but not treated the way he was as he was facing death.” Are you friggin kidding me? I for one think he got off easy with a quick snap of the neck and a few remarks from those there. This is a guy who would tie peoples hands behind their back and would push them off a third floor roof into a courtyard…a guy who would strip a man naked, and with his family watching, release four to six large dogs who had purposefully been starved to maul the man to death and then begin to eat him…this is a man that according to the UN Special Rapporteur’s September 2001 report criticized the regime for “the sheer number of executions,” the number of “extrajudicial executions on political grounds,” and “the absence of a due process of the law.” And that Saddam Hussein’s regime has carried out frequent summary executions, including:
• 4,000 prisoners at Abu Ghraib prison in 1984;
• 3,000 prisoners at the Mahjar prison from 1993-1998;
• 2,500 prisoners were executed between 1997-1999 in a “prison cleansing campaign;”
• 122 political prisoners were executed at Abu Ghraib prison in February/March 2000;
• 23 political prisoners were executed at Abu Ghraib prison in October 2001; and
• At least 130 Iraqi women were beheaded between June 2000 and April 2001.
Saddam got what he deserved, and the sooner those also found guilty with him are strung up the sooner the country will return to normal, as normal as Iraq can be after decades of what they have had to endure. The US State Department, who is whining about the hanging, has been wrong on just about every aspect of what they are doing in Iraq. They are wrong about this too. Iraqis will forget about Saddam, and as he died, so did any chance that he will return to power, and that is a good thing. This is a time to heal for them, let them do it their way. It is time for people in this country to stop trying to justify what goes on in other countries based on their limited, sheltered, TV fed lives. It’s time to face reality. It’s an ugly world out there…grow up.